Friday, May 4, 2012

Lesson learned


My past few days off have been a blast! I truly look forward to my “cooking adventures.” I find it very entertaining looking through all the different blogs/recipes sites, picking out what I’m doing to make next. Plus I’m learning great tips on the way! I find baking so therapeutic, I turn the music on full blast, get my cute little apron on, and dancing/singing while arms deep into my new cooking/baking challenge! Its a dance party and I don’t care if nobody is attending hahaha Lets just hope the elementary school kids aren’t watching me (I live right behind Hillcreek elementary).
Tonight I decided to make “Skinny Spinach Lasagnas Rolls” from SkinnyTaste. They were good and surprisingly I didn’t miss all the cheese that normal lasagnas have. Great way to get a vegetable in! I made the mistake of cooking the lasagna rolls and coconut macaroons at the same time. So my dumb self added almond flavoring to the lasagna filling (instead of the coconut mixture). I was too lazy to go all the way back to the store and buy all the ingredients again, so I just tried to scoop out the flavoring and hope for the best! Well we differently could taste a little almond flavoring at the end, but it wasn’t too strong! HAHAH Lesson learned; do not multi-task! Do one thing at a time. Doing the rolls was much simpler than creating each layer. Plus I like the fact they were pre-portioned.  I don’t think ill add this recipe to collection but it’s a go to for a quick and easy meal.  You can make it a day ahead and just pop it in the oven when you are ready to cook it or even just freeze it.



         Now for dessert! I made coconut almond macaroons with chocolate ganache and almonds from bluebonnets and brownies! Man I loved them, but impartial because I love anything coconut! I never made macaroons before, just always got them from the store. They just seemed so difficult to make, but they are so EASY!!!  I had left over chocolate ganache so I came up with the brilliant idea of covering banana pieces and putting almonds on top and freezing them for later! Great treat for when it’s hot out and you just want a little something! Hey its healthy right (haha), it’s a fruit!  Got the macaroons all packed up for my husbands work tomorrow. Got back great reviews on the banana bars! Too bad I’m not going to work for a few days! Don’t worry next treats ill bring into my work!
Excited for Monday I’m going to learn how to ice/decorate sugar cookies! Hopefully it won’t turn out to be a disaster! 
Macaroons before getting their chocolate bath! 


Chocolate covered bananas, had to use the left over ganache!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, these look great. You know you can all ways drop a few by here.

    You'll have a blast decorating sugar cookies. You can be so creative. If you need a good sugar cookie recipe that isn't dry let me know.

    Happy baking

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete